My name is Lori Daly. I formed Diversifi Consulting Group (DiversifiCG), a certified Disability-Owned Business Enterprise (DOBE ®) to provide employment best practices and disability awareness based on my unique experiences and understanding as a recruiter, manager, and person with a disability.
This year marks an important milestone: the 30th Anniversary of the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), a civil rights legislation to prevent discrimination against people with disabilities.
What do you think of when you hear the word “disability”?
As a person with a disability, I can attest to how challenging it is for people with disabilities to receive support, dispel the myths and perceptions around disability, and feel they have a safe space to ask for help. And I understand the fears and misperceptions from employers to hire someone with a disability.
Why should you care?Because – it can affect all of us!
- About one in four people you see around you has a disability in all professions and walks of life: Nobel Prize winners, professors, business leaders, family members, co-workers, managers—you.
- The probability of becoming disabled for 90 days or longer between ages 35 and 65 is 27% for men and 31% for women.
- People with disabilities make up the 3rd largest market segment in the US. It is not specific to a particular race, gender, or age group. It is the largest diversity population in our country.
- 20% of the population you serve has a disability — can you afford to turn away or alienate your patrons, visitors, customers, and citizens?
- People with disabilities represent the largest source of untapped talent in our country.
We have come a long way and I’m grateful because if it weren’t for the ADA, I wouldn’t have the resources to continue as an advocate as we face struggles and unspoken stigma.
October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM). This is the time to renew our commitment to disability awareness and a powerful, diverse workforce.
Interested in learning more?
- Office of Disability Employment Policy – Department of Labor: https://www.dol.gov/odep/
- Department of Justice http://www.usdoj.gov/http://www.ada.gov/
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission www.eeoc.gov
- Department of Transportation http://www.fta.dot.gov/civilrights/civil_rights_2360.html
- Access Board http://www.access-board.gov/
Stay tuned for next articles in this series:
- Do you know the best way to support people with disabilities, how to approach and talk to a person with a disability?
- Do you know how to enhance your recruiting practices to source this incredible untapped talent pool? Are you meeting the important goal of the OFCCP for hiring people with disabilities?
Let’s keep moving forward to create diversity, equity, awareness, acceptance and inclusion.